Turkey is one of the most incredible places on earth. The people are outgoing and friendly. The landscape is spectacular. The country is just like paradise for cruising sailors or airline travelers. And if you enjoy crochet and other needlework, you’ll find that Turkey is a rich source of inspiration and ideas.
If you aren’t able to book your reservations to fly to Turkey right now, let’s armchair travel to Turkey and take a look at some of the spectacular Turkish crochet patterns, techniques and ideas that have been developed. This list includes both free patterns and patterns for sale (that are truly worth buying — I own them myself and can vouch for that). I’ve also included links featuring photos and inspiration (without actual patterns) as well.
Buy Turkish Crochet Patterns and Books
Turkish Flat Stitch Tutorial and Jewelry Patterns in the Summer 2018 Issue of Crochet! Magazine
The Summer 2018 issue of Crochet! magazine includes a step-by-step photo tutorial for how to work the Turkish flat stitch with beads. The same issue also includes a pattern for making Turkish crochet bracelets and a watchband. There are several bracelet variations including a triple-wrap bracelet, a slip stitch bracelet and a half double crochet bracelet. This grouping of patterns is rated as being easy enough for a confident beginner, so if you are new to Turkish crochet, this is a fantastic resource for learning the Turkish flat stitch technique.
Interweave has published 2 books on the topic of bead crochet edgings in the Turkish style. These books are the most comprehensive English-language resources I’m aware of for teaching you how to crochet the gorgeous edgings that Turkish women use for decorating their head scarves. Of course, you are not limited to using them for that purpose; they’re lovely to use for edging all kinds of other projects. I have both books and highly recommend them both; but if you only want to buy one of them, I think the second one is easier for people who are new to the bead crochet technique.
- Click here to read our review of The Beaded Edge 2.
- Click here to shop for The Beaded Edge 2 at Amazon.
Free Turkish Crochet Patterns and Tutorials
- Free Crochet Tutorials for Turkish Flat Bead crochet and Turkish Loops
- Free carnation oya pattern — You can use these pretty bead crochet flowers for making exquisite trims, edgings, jewelry and perhaps other types of projects if you use your creativity.
- “Sevens” Free Chart and Pattern for Crocheting a Turkish Oya Edging
- Free Tutorial and Pattern for Crocheting Oya beaded lace eyebrows
- Flower power shawl — This three-dimensional crochet shawl pattern is available in Turkish, English and Chinese languages.
Turkish Artisans and Others Crocheting in the Turkish Style
If you’re interested in seeing what other people are making using Turkish crochet techniques, the following links are worth exploring:
Turkish Crochet by Demet — Demet crochets a variety of interesting designs from all over the world, including doilies, table linens and accessories.
- Knit and Crochet Edging Patterns
- Bead Crochet
- Beaded Crochet Necklace Pattern
- Crochet Books
- Thread Crochet Patterns
- Knitting and Crochet Techniques
This page was last updated on 4/29/2018.