Interested in making your own socks? Whether you prefer crochet or knitting, you’ll find bunches of excellent sock patterns to choose from. We invite you to browse through this list of sock knitting and crochet patterns to find a variety of free and paid patterns for making any kind of socks you could possibly want — warm winter socks, slipper socks, lightweight summer socks, lace socks, ribbed socks and socks for every family member including men, women, teens, children and babies.
How to Knit Socks — Find the Best Sock Knitting Books Available
This softcover booklet features 11 different sock knitting patterns for men, women, babies and children. Some of the designs in the book are knitted from the cuff down, and some are worked from the toe up. The socks in this book all go beyond boring basic socks; they include eye-catching details like eyelet lace, subtle textures and classic shaping. They’re all wearable, everyday designs that will more than likely prove to be beneficial additions to your wardrobe — and your family’s wardrobes.
Where to Buy This Book:
- Click here to shop for this book at Amazon.com.
- Click here to shop for this book at the Leisure Arts website.
If you want to knit socks that have lots of personality, Jorid Linvik’s Big Book of Knitted Socks might just be the sock knitting pattern book for you. It features a variety of vividly colorful sock knitting patterns for the whole family, including men, women, babies and children. There are patterns for making basic socks, too. If you’re new to making socks, there’s some fantastic introductory information — and if you’re an experienced sock maker, you’ll find a whole bunch of interesting new patterns to engage you.
Where to Buy Jorid Linvik’s Big Book of Knitted Socks:
- Click here to shop for Jorid Linvik’s Big Book of Knitted Socks book at Knitpicks.
- Click here to shop for this book at Amazon.com.
- Click here to shop for this book at the publisher’s website.
Free Sock Knitting Patterns
Sock Knitting Patterns by Julie Huston
The “Treasures Made From Yarn” website features patterns designed by Julie Huston for both knitting and crocheting socks. These are the free sock knitting patterns:
Lion Brand’s Free Sock Knitting Patterns
- Crocheted Cottage Slipper Socks — There are two versions of this pattern; a knit version and a crocheted version. This link takes you to the knitted version; scroll down to the crochet section of this page for the other version.
- Joan’s Knit Socks — This is another pattern that has both knitted and crocheted versions.
How to Crochet Socks — Free Crochet Sock Patterns
Learn how to crochet socks with these free sock patterns.
- Small shell socks
- Domino socks
- Shelled socks
- Thong socks
- Toe-Up Small Shell Sock Pattern
- Ripple Socks
- Ripple tube socks
- Pineapple socks
- The chain sock — A sock pattern that combines knitting and crocheting
Nicole Cormier’s Crochet Sock Designs
Be advised that some of the items linked here are blog posts which sometimes wander off of the topic of crochet, and onto other topics of a more personal nature.
- Basic Crochet Sock Pattern With Tutorial
- Spring garden socks
- Cabled socks — available as a free download through Ravelry.com, but you have to be a member of their web site to be able to access the free pattern
- February’s sock
- March’s sock — Cape Breton cables
- April’s socks — bleached herringbone
- May’s Sock — Bistro
- June’s socks
- July’s Sock — Foo-Foo
- July’s socks
- Foo foo dans la rue socks — These are lacy crocheted socks
- Bulky winter socks
This blog post is not a free sock pattern, but it’s helpful for anyone who is wondering whether crocheted socks are comfortable or not.
In this blog post, Nicole explains how to make pedicure socks.
More of Nicole’s Free Sock Patterns at Ravelry:
Nicole has made some of her sock patterns available as free downloads at Ravelry.com. In order to access the patterns, you need to be a logged in member of their website.
Kemberlee’s sock pattern includes many work-in-progress photos, so you’ll be able to visualize exactly how she worked her sample socks.
You’ll work his pattern starting with the ribbed cuff. From there, you work in rounds, skipping the heel. This type of design is sometimes referred to as an “afterthought heel,” because you go back later and work the heel at the end.
Free Lion Brand Sock Patterns
- Child’s Spike Stitch Socks — These charming child-sized socks are crocheted using four different colors of Lion Brand Wool Ease yarn.
- Crocheted Cottage Slipper Socks — Here’s the crocheted version of this popular sock pattern.
- Joan’s Crocheted Socks
- Scrunchy, Slouchy Slipper Socks
Drops Free Sock Patterns
Basic Crocheted Socks
Basic Crochet Sock Revisited — at Stitchwhisper Blog — This is the author’s second attempt at a basic sock pattern. There used to be an earlier version of this pattern, which was also available online, but it has since disappeared. In this updated version, the heel has been reworked to make it easier. This pattern is adaptable; it can be made in fingering, sport or worsted weight yarns — whichever you prefer. The author also gives variations for knee-high socks if you prefer those to the shorter kind.
Free PDF Sock Patterns by Kim Lewis
- Cassie-O-Peah Socks — These socks are crocheted using the v stitch plus a toe-up design with an afterthought heel. The pattern design is by Kimberly Lewis, and is available from Ravelry.com to registered members.
- Chris Cross Ankle Socks
- Vee Socks — These socks are crocheted using the V-stitch and shell stitches. This is a toe-up sock design created with an afterthought heel. The pattern design is by Kimberly Lewis.
Free Sock Patterns From Crochetandknitting.com
- Design Your Own Socks Pattern Template
- Crocheted Socks for Men — These are thick wool socks crocheted using worsted weight yarn.
Linda’s Sock Patterns at Planetshoup.com
- Ribbed Socks — These socks are crocheted in lengthwise rows using DK superwash wool yarn.
- Peach Ankle Socks — This pair of socks is crocheted using a cotton / acrylic blend of dk weight yarn.
Free Sock Patterns Posted in the Crochetville Forums
This is a free crochet pattern for a pair of toe-less pedicure socks. If you crochet a pair of these, you’ll be able to keep your tootsies warm while you paint your toenails. What a great idea!
If you’d like to make socks for a child, check out this free crochet pattern. These instructions call for Bernat Softee baby yarn.
These socks are crocheted in one flat piece, then assembled at the end.
These baby socks were designed by Anastacia E. Zittel.
Free Scrap Yarn Sock Pattern at Knitting-Crochet.com
- Scrap Yarn Socks — This pattern gives you one more way to use up your scrap yarn.
This page was last updated on 12/8/2018.