It’s helpful for knitters and crocheters to understand basic sewing techniques. Perhaps you’ve crocheted a bunch of granny squares, and you want to stitch them together to create a blanket. Maybe you’ve knitted a beautiful tote bag, but it isn’t as practical as you’d like because you don’t know how to sew a lining for it. There’ll likely be times you need to know how to ease a knitted sleeve into your latest sweater or stitch the side seams in a baby hat you’re crocheting — and sewing skills are helpful to have when these tasks arise.
Free Video Sewing Classes for Everyone
This month, Creative Live is offering some of their sewing classes for free. You’d ordinarily have to pay a bundle for all these classes — so if you’d be interested in learning some new sewing techniques you’ll want to head over there and sign up ASAP.
- How to Sew Your First Skirt and Understand Patterns — This is usually a $49 class, but you’ll be able to watch it for free on September 15-16, 2016 if you RSVP ahead of time.
- Sew Along: Learn How to Sew the Sylvie Dress — Learn how to sew a dress with this video sewing class. This is usually a $79 class, but you can watch it for free on Sept 15-16, 2016 if you RSVP ahead of time.
- Sewing Clothes Into Quilts — Do you have worn-out or outdated clothes you don’t need any more? Learn how to sew them into quilts. This is usually a $39 class, but you can watch it for free on September 14 – 15, 2016 if you RSVP ahead of time.
- Click here to see more free video classes that are available to watch now or airing soon.
Crochetterie: A Beginner-Friendly Craft Book That Teaches You Both Crochet and Sewing Techniques
When it comes to combining sewing and crochet projects, Molla Mills is an expert. Molla stitches up designer-quality crochet bags with leather details, fabric linings and other distinctive details. If you’d like to learn her secrets for how to do this, you’ll want to check out her brand new book called Crochetterie: Cool Contemporary Crochet for the Creatively Minded:
- Read an in-depth book review posted at Crochet-Books.com.
- Shop for a discounted copy of this book at Amazon.
Free Sewing Tutorials for Knitters and Crocheters
If you want to finish your knitting or crochet projects flawlessly, here are some free sewing instructions you can use for that purpose.
- Free Lining Tutorial — Learn how to sew a lining for a crocheted or knitted pouch or bag.
- Free Whip Stitch Sewing Tutorial — Whip stitch is one of my favorite methods for joining granny squares and sewing seams on crocheted pieces. Here’s a step-by-step whip stitch tutorial with photos.
- Side Seams Sewing Tutorial — This tutorial shows you how to sew the side seams on a pair of simple crocheted fingerless gloves. You can use the same basic method on other projects like hats and sweaters too.
- How to Make a Rag Ball — Learn how to sew fabric strips together to create rag balls you can use instead of yarn for fabric crochet and fabric knitting.