Do you ever lose track of your crochet hooks or knitting needles? Are you in need of a good storage system for keeping them organized? If so, there are a couple of ArtBin organizers you might like to know about. One of them is called the Hook & Needle Nook. It’s an affordable hard plastic case that’s similar to a pencil box, but it’s intended to hold crochet hooks and knitting needles instead of pencils and pens.
Design and Dimensions of the Organizer
The Hook & Needle Nook measures about 12 3/8 inches by 4 7/8 inches by 1 3/4 inch, which is a more generous size than your typical pencil case. It is divided into 3 long sections, so you can separate your tools in whichever way seems most intuitive to you.
The lid of the box has three hinges and two latches.
The Hook & Needle Nook comes in several different colors. The version I have is translucent gray. I can see through it well enough to distinguish which supplies I have inside without having to open the box, yet the color is nice for differentiating this box from some of the other similar boxes I have in my craft supplies stash.
If you have large numbers of tools to organize, you can buy several different colors of the Nook to help you differentiate what’s in them. Alternatively, you could buy several of the same color if you’d prefer to have your storage system be color coordinated. I’ve seen this box in translucent gray, periwinkle and pink, all of which are lovely color choices.
Best Uses for This Organizer
Here are a few suggestions for tools you might want to store in the Hook & Needle Nook:
- Pairs of knitting needles measuring less than about 12 inches long
- Sets of double-pointed knitting needles
- Cable needles
- Traditional crochet hooks made of aluminum, bamboo or plastic
- Steel crochet hooks
- Ergonomic crochet hooks like Clover Soft Touch
- Tunisian crochet hooks measuring less than about 12 inches long
- Double-ended crochet hooks
- Locker hooking tools
- Easyloop tool for Fauxchet
My hairpin lace loom fits in here if I take it apart; otherwise, it doesn’t fit.
I have a circular crochet hook that fits in here if I loop it over itself and put a rubber band around it. Likewise with my circular knitting needles.
However, in my opinion, this isn’t the ideal storage solution for large numbers of circular knitting needles. If there are only a few of them in your collection that you want to store along with your straight hooks and needles, this could be an OK solution — but if your primary need is organizing circular knitting needles, this is not the ideal storage system for that. Instead, try either the Solutions XL storage box if you have a small number of circular needles, or a Slim Super Satchel if you have significant numbers of them.
Things I Like Best About This Organizer
- It’s affordable.
- I appreciate the translucent box which allows me to see inside without having to open it. That saves time when I’m looking for a tool I want to find.
- It’s efficient. The Hook & Needle Nook fits a surprising number of tools inside, but it doesn’t take up much space in my stash.
- It fits inside the ArtBin Yarn Drum, which I also own; so I can put it inside the Yarn Drum and easily take the entire toolbox with me at times when I’m not sure which tool I’ll want to use that day.
- It’s made in the USA, so purchasing it helps to support American workers.
This Organizer Is Inappropriate for…
…storing 14 inch knitting needles, 14 inch Tunisian crochet hooks, or any size of knitting needle or crochet hook longer than about 12 inches.
Would I Buy More of These Organizers?
YES! If I needed more of these, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy more of them. I think they’re well worth the money. The one I have is a generous enough size that it meets my current needs, so I don’t have a use for a second one at the moment. But if my hook and needle collection grows in the future, it would be a no-brainer for me to pick up a second one; I’d probably pick a different color to help me differentiate between the two.
Would I Recommend These Organizers to Friends?
YES! Definitely. If you have unmanageable numbers of knitting needles and / or crochet hooks that are 12 inches or shorter, I recommend the Hook & Needle Nook for helping you sort ’em out and get them organized and manageable.
Where to Buy the ArtBin Hook & Needle Nook
- Click here to shop for this organizer at Amazon.
- Click here to shop for this organizer at CreateForLess.
- Click here to shop for this organizer at the ArtBin website.
More Useful ArtBin Craft Organizers You’ll Want to Know About:
- ArtBin Yarn Drum, Item#: 6934SA — If you’d like to take your yarn, crochet hooks and / or knitting needles on the go with you when you head out the door, the Yarn Drum will keep you looking stylish and organized while you’re in transit. If you craft at home, the Yarn Drum makes a fantastic project organizer and protective barrier against hazards like dog hair and kittycat claws.
- ArtBin Hook & Needle Folio, Item#: 8414SA (not pictured) — This is a large zippered case for keeping knitting needles, crochet hooks and other needlework supplies neatly organized, whether you’re crafting at home or on the go.
- ArtBin Solutions Storage Cabinet, Item#: 6994AB — If you do bead crochet, bead knitting, wire crochet or wire knitting, this is an outstanding organizer for keeping track of your beads, findings, tools, and wire. It also works well for organizing embroidery floss and other sorts of craft supplies
- ArtBin Solutions Long Open Core, Item#: 3901AB — This is a compact and versatile multi-purpose craft supplies organizer.
- >ArtBin Super Satchel 1-Compartment, Item#: 6955AB — This is a fantastic multi-purpose craft organizer that’ll help you organize just about any type of art or craft supply you might need to find a place for.
- ArtBin Thread Storage Tray, Item#: 6820AG — Organize your sewing thread intuitively in this heavy-duty thread storage tray. You can wall mount this piece if you don’t have a handy table, counter or shelf to put it on, or you can tuck it inside a craft organizer if that would better suit your needs.
- ArtBin Mini Sidekick, Item#: 6815AG — This versatile hard plastic caddy is ideal for storing a variety of different craft supplies.
This product review was posted on 11/25/2016. The page was last updated on 11/28/2016.