Do you ever have a hard time figuring out which sorts of pattern(s) you should use when you decorate? Do you have a hard time choosing between different patterns like stripes, checkerboards, diamonds, etc?
So do lots of people. You’re not alone!
The answer can be as simple as this: don’t choose one; try out a bunch of them.
This pattern sampler allows you to do just that.
Take a bunch of different patterns. Crochet small squares out of the ones you like. Skip using the ones you don’t like. Use colors that fill your heart with joy. Put ’em all together to create an eye-catching, unique, interesting afghan that is ALL YOURS and reflects your style, your personality, and the patterns you like.
Along the way, you’ll have a chance to use different crochet techniques and needlework techniques to make each square extra-special — and also to keep you from getting bored with the project. That’s one fabulous thing about this project. Although it’s a large one, there’s little danger of getting bored — because each square can be new and different.
You can make this afghan in any size you like, but there are instructions for crocheting 5 different blanket sizes:
- Baby’s Receiving Blanket
- Baby’s Crib-Size Blanket
- Twin-Size Blanket
- Full / Queen Size Blanket
Get the Free Patterns for the Squares in This Blanket:
- Crochet Square With Angled Stripes
- Pine Tree Square
- Heart Squares — This design is available on our website as a downloadable PDF.
- Mini Checkered Square — This design is available on our website as a downloadable PDF; however, the chart available is a different colorway than the one I used here. Feel free to use either colorway, or even better, to choose your own preferred colors for this design.
- This is an ongoing series of designs. I’m working on adding other square patterns; please sign up for our free newsletter to receive updates letting you know about when these and other patterns are added to our website.