If you have crochet thread in your craft supply stash, perhaps you’re wondering what you should make with it. I designed this page to help you with that; it’s a collection of assorted crochet thread patterns for making edgings, flowers, snowflakes, granny squares, bedspreads and more.
Topics Covered on This Page:
- Crochet thread patterns
- Thread crochet project ideas
- Patterns for crocheting with embroidery floss (which in some cases is similar to a size 3 crochet thread)
- Edging and Trim Patterns to Crochet With Thread
- Thread Crochet Bedspread Patterns
- Thread Crochet Doily Patterns
- Crochet Thread Jewelry Patterns
- Crochet Thread Motif and Applique Patterns
Related Pages on Our Website:
Edging and Trim Patterns to Crochet With Thread
- Easy Scalloped Crochet Trim With Ribbon — Out of my entire library of crochet and knitting trim patterns, the pattern for this gorgeous trim is one of the ones I use most frequently. It works up FAST and it’s easy to adjust the size of the piece you’re working on.
- Filet Crochet Heart Trim – Made with love! This pretty trim features a repeating pattern of hearts that alternate. I love the filet crochet version; I also thought of another way to use the same chart. I designed a similar trim pattern where the heart design is cross stitched onto the trim.I think both variations turned out really pretty.
- Find more patterns for borders, trims and edgings; you can knit and crochet pretty much any of these patterns using crochet thread, even if the designer originally worked them in yarn.
Thread Crochet Bedspread Patterns
Pictured here: a bedspread made using this free crochet pattern for a criss-cross granny square. In this design, we explore the juxtaposition of positive and negative space. The open spaces in the pattern are as important as the crocheted areas. To make the most of this design, you’ll wish to use these squares in such a way that a contrasting material is underneath.
Some project ideas: make a bedspread or throw that you plan to use overtop of bright-colored sheets. Join the squares together to make a handbag, and stitch a lining for it using a vibrantly contrasting fabric. Make two-layer placemats where the upper layer is bunches of these squares joined together and the lower layer is a liner of gorgeously colored fabric.
We’ve posted a couple of checkered diamonds filet crochet charts you could use for crocheting a broad variety of different projects including bedspreads, throws, pillows and many others.
More Ideas for Thread Crochet Bedspreads
Our website features many more square and motif patterns that would be suitable for use in making thread crochet bedspreads:
- Summer Bedspread Granny Square Pattern: This pattern is no longer available from its original source; it is temporarily unavailable while I re-write it and rebuild its pattern page. It will be available again shortly. You can make any granny square using crochet thread, but I specifically designed the summer bedspread granny square for crocheting with thread; of course, you could make it out of yarn if you prefer.
- Granny Square Patterns: Feel free to crochet any of our grannies using thread.
Crochet thread is the suggested material you use for making most of the doilies and mandalas on our list of crochet doily patterns. Even in cases where the designer has originally used yarn to crochet the original project, you can often substitute crochet thread for interesting results.
Crochet Thread Jewelry Patterns
- Crochet Bead Necklace Pattern – I’ve crocheted two different colorways of this pattern using metallic embroidery floss, which is dainty yet substantial enough to support both the seed beads and the small dichroic glass pendant which are an integral part of the necklace design. The embroidery floss takes some skill and patience to work with, but the results are well worth the effort.
Crochet Thread Motif and Applique Patterns
Pictured here are a few popular crochet thread motif patterns that are available for free on our website:
- Crochet thread skull motif pattern
- Sunflower crocheted in embroidery floss
- Winter snowflake applique that adorns a snowflake potholder
- Crochet Flowers — You could crochet our entire collection of flower patterns using crochet thread if you wish.
- Beaded Crochet Snowflake Ornament – Using this pattern, you’ll combine crochet thread, embroidery floss, beads and wire to create a strong, flexible snowflake that you can use for a variety of purposes. It’s especially well suited for making into a Christmas ornament, but you can also use it for decorating wrapped presents, adding to buntings and garlands, hanging from your mantelpiece or light fixtures, etc.
- Winter Snowflake Applique: I’ve crocheted this snowflake applique a couple different times, once with size 3 crochet thread and once with smooth white yarn. Both versions of the snowflake are nice, but I think the crochet thread version is far more versatile and useful. I used my finished motif to make a snowflake potholder. I’m thinking of making a few more snowflake appliques for sewing onto scarves, hats, sweaters and bags.
- See more outstanding patterns for crochet motifs and crochet appliques.
Thread Crochet Pattern Books
We’re hoping you enjoyed the roundup of free patterns linked above. Want to discover even more enchanting crochet thread patterns? If so, you might enjoy the following books that incorporate a variety of crochet thread projects:
- 50 Fabulous Crochet Thread Motifs
- 50 Fabulous Pineapple Crochet Motifs
- Crochet So Fine Book: The premise of this book: you can crochet gorgeous, wearable clothing if you use either crochet thread or fine yarns to do it. Be sure to check out my book review for more info about the projects included in the book.
- Lovely Decor in Filet Crochet
- The Beaded Edge 2 Book:Using beads, crochet thread, and the lovely patterns in this book, you’ll learn how to crochet exquisite edgings to finish off scarves, clothing, accessories, linens, and other projects. This is one of my favorite crochet books.
- Crochet Master Class — This book will help you master the art of crochet by teaching you a broad variety of crochet techniques that incorporate crochet thread, yarn and other materials.
- Imagical Seasons Spring crochet patterns for girls
- Imagical Seasons Summer crochet patterns for girls
So there you have it: Our recommendations for interesting crochet thread patterns. You have your pick of free crochet thread patterns and outstanding crochet thread pattern books that are available for sale. Whatever type of project it is you want to crochet using thread, embroidery floss or fine yarn, we hope you found some lovely and satisfying patterns to work on.
This page was last updated on 1/31/2018.